Bergeson, LLP represents both employers and employees in a broad spectrum of employment law matters, including wrongful termination, discrimination, retaliation, sexual harassment, and wage and hour, among other areas. Our lawyers also regularly counsel and advise both employers and employees regarding a myriad of employment law issues. The law firm’s clients range from national and regional companies to emerging companies and start-ups, as well as founders, entrepreneurs, and executives.
More information about the Firm’s employment practice specialties can be found at the following links:
- Workplace Discrimination
- Sexual Harassment
- Whistleblowing and Retaliation
- Wage and Hour
- Employment Counseling and Advice
In both our litigation and counseling work, our attorneys provide exceptional value, proactive and creative solutions, transparency, and an unwavering dedication to the highest quality and ethics. While our attorneys have a superb record of obtaining favorable settlements for clients prior to trial, our attorneys are also ready to take cases through trial when necessary.
The Firm regularly represents both employers and employees in state and federal courts and before numerous government agencies, including the California Department of Labor Standards Enforcement (the “DLSE”), the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing (the “DFEH”), the California Employment Development Department (the “EDD”), and the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (the “EEOC”).
A sampling of the Firm’s representative employment litigation work includes:
- Successful defense of a non-bank commercial real estate start-up in a wrongful termination dispute filed by a founding executive involving a purportedly guaranteed contract worth over $1 million. The result was a favorable confidential settlement for the start-up.
- Successful defense of a defunct start-up company and its individual founders in an administrative action filed by a terminated co-founder who sought back pay and the value of promised equity. The Labor Commissioner ruled in favor of the start-up and its founders, awarding the co-founder nothing.
- Defense of former CEO’s wrongful termination lawsuit against hi-tech battery manufacturer, which included cross-claims for fraud and breach of fiduciary duty arising from the CEO’s unusual activities. The action resulted in a favorable settlement for the CEO.
- Representation of a plaintiff in a race discrimination action against a large aerospace company, which resulted in a six-figure verdict for the plaintiff.
- Defense of owner of over 50 fast-food restaurants in numerous race discrimination and sexual harassment actions in state and federal court filed by current and former employees. None of the cases resulted in verdicts against the client and summary judgment in client’s favor was achieved in several actions, including three where monetary sanctions were awarded against the unsuccessful plaintiff.
- Representation of an employer in an investigation of a former employee’s alleged workplace misconduct. Among other things, the investigation involved employee privacy issues.
- Obtained summary judgment in federal court for Canadian furniture manufacturer in action for wrongful termination and lost commissions filed by former sales representative. Judgment was affirmed on appeal and costs were awarded to client.
- Successful prosecution of actions on behalf of sales executives in action for unpaid commissions against their former employer, a large telephone and wireless services provider. The actions resulted in a six-figure settlements for each of the sales executives.
- Defense of a prominent verification software company in a six-figure wage and hour action filed by a systems analyst, who alleged that he was entitled to overtime compensation. The result was a favorable confidential settlement for the company on the day before trial.
- Prosecution of a sexual harassment matter on behalf of a female VP of a prominent hi-tech company against her former employer and an individual executive. The engagement resulted in a six-figure settlement for the client without the necessity of filing any lawsuit.
- Representation of various companies against claims of age, race, gender, and national origin discrimination.
- Representation of a former executive alleging that his former employer fraudulently induced him to move cross country and accept employment.
- Successful representation of a director of a firm in a whistleblower investigation. The result was a favorable confidential settlement for the director.
- Representation of a company against a claim for discretionary bonus by former employee.
- Defense of officers and directors against allegations that they were personally liable for wages owed to employees of two different failed start-up companies.
- Prosecution of a claim for multi-million dollar benefits owed under employment contract to a terminated high-level executive. The arbitration resulted in a multi-million dollar award to the executive.
- Successful representation of a former executive regarding his age discrimination claims against a company. The result was a favorable confidential settlement for the former executive.
- Successful defense of a hi-tech company against independent contractor misclassification claims filed with the DLSE by a former worker.
- Successful representation of a former employee who was accused of sexual harassment.